Monday 5 January 2015

Why do jobs/careers difine us?

I find when I meet new people the ask what I do, or what I want to do in the future. People are always shocked when I say I don't know. To be honest I don't think many people do so why do we lie? I feel it is because people define us and our success and who we are though this. Why does a job define us? Is someone who emptys bins for a living lesser of a person than a pilot? or is a teacher more important than someone who is unemployed?

As some one who has worked in many areas and had many different jobs, taken me to other contries or just cleaning toilets, I have met many people, all of whom have great worth and mean no less or more than anyone else. So why do we put this importance on jobs and careers. Why is this the norm? Why when we meet people do we not try and find out who they are rather then what job do you do? oh that must mean that you are like such and such.

I get anxious when I think about my future andwhat my future job might be. Society says that I should know what my career is going to be, when I am going to start a family, when I will own my own house. This makes me axious as some days waking up in the morning is a task. Somedays I get into bed and think I made it through the day with out crying. If you are having one of those days, Congrats you are doing great and you have worth. That is something I wish people said to me more often, not what do you do? What are your plans for your future? You do't have plans for the future? You have to have plans for the future? How can you not?

I will tell you how! I am living in the day and feeling Gods love, I am recovering one step at a time from not thinking i am going to be able to make it out of bed some days. I am not there yet but i am getting there. Thinking about careers and jobs is hard and scares me and makes me anxious, there is a big world out there to concore and it is overwhelming. My job does not define me, so you shouldn't define me by it and I won't define you by yours. It is a way to make money, for some people it is a passion and a calling for others not. So please don't judge.

2 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job of being you, finding out who you are and bringing love into the lives of those you meet. <3

    ReplyDelete